Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bad Time At Work

So today was a crappy day. We have 3.5 people in bindery. The .5 is because the mailer dude helps out when he's not busy, which he was today. But Perry has been out sick for two days and so we have 2 people in bindery. And it's busy. So first there's the OSU Foundation mailer (17,000) and then there's some ambiguous 100,000 piece job coming over and due tomorrow but it wasn't approved yet so it couldn't be printed but they still want it tomorrow. And then the Graphic Whizard is having trouble with its numbering head and that's what I was working on during all this and they only printed me like 15 extras and I used up too many because of the stupid machine being stupid and I asked Matt to get me 30 more and he had them print 20 more but I also made a math error and I actually needed 60 more and RRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! And then the cutter broke. While the big boss was using it. Which of course means he has to take the whole machine apart and pretend he knows what he's looking at while he's staring at the guts of the machine. And then they call in this guy, who turns out to be the general manager's dad and he takes like 4 hours to take the cutter apart more and finally Matt finds a burnt connection in the back. So now they know what the problem is. But literally EVERYTHING that comes into bindery has to be cut. Ok, 95%. But ALMOST EVERYTHING that comes into bindery has to be cut. So we're at a standstill with a million and one things to do. Plus, the General Manager, President, and Owner of the company are all hanging out in bindery getting more frustrated all the time, which means that we have to be DOING something in order to not get yelled at but there's nothing to do. Fortunately, for a couple of hours I got to go up front and run the inserter. But that's also not good cause I found out more crap that we have to do tomorrow. We've got this 5000 mail merge for Salvation Army and I was doing the first part where the brochure and return envelope get put in the big envelope. But then tomorrow we get to double parallel fold the letters and HAND INSERT all 5000 of them into the matching envelope and hand seal the envelopes. And then there's another big mail merge for DLO after that. Mail merge sucks because the name on the envelope has to match the name on the letter inside the envelope. They don't use a window envelope so we get to look through the envelope with our x-ray vision and make sure each name matches. oh, and at like 4:30 the giant job finally got approved and they made plates for it and Larry had to stay and run it even though he was already there when I showed up this morning at 8:00 and his plates were messing up after only 10,000 impressions and changing plates is a long annoying process and it wastes a lot of time and ink and paper to get everything back where it should be so he can continue running the job. And of course it's a 4 color press so each plate change is actually 4 plate changes. So he's probably STILL there fighting with that and we're going to be expected to cut that down tomorrow with a broken cutter and get it out even though no one has any idea if there's any more bindery on it other than cutting. For all we know, it could fold and tab and mail and who knows what. And then Matt, our production manager and general Savior is off tomorrow and Monday. He's the one who fixes all the problems and keeps the minions from experiencing the wrath of grumpy upper management. But tomorrow we'll have all the upper management hanging around (helping) and being grumpy because of the machines breaking and we'll be super duper busy and he won't be there. And Perry will probably also be sick again because it's his MO to be out for the whole week.

So there were these posters. 9 of them. That foam cored. They wanted them at the end of the day today. I finally got to them at 4:30 and of course I couldn't cut them on the cutter so I had to use the poster cutter thing in the hallway and then I decided to call the store and see if they could wait until tomorrow for them because it is SO much easier and faster to foam core a poster with the cutter. They were fine with that so I was about to not worry about it but then the President saw the work order and wouldn't listen to me when I told him they didn't need it tonight. So he made me do all 9 posters by hand which is really really horrible. But then we remembered that the clamp on the cutter was still usable so I didn't have to foam core them by hand, just cut them by hand which is way less horrible. But then they sent Keith to help. I don't need help with posters even in normal conditions and I REALLY don't handle help well when I'm grumpy and stressed out. So Keith is "helping" me by getting in the way and pulling when he needs to push and so forth and I'm about to explode and then he won't listen when I politely say I don't need help and could he go get the other posters to cut. He just looks at me until I smile and look sweet. This is why I don't work in/with the public. When I'm stressed out, I can't smile and be sweet. I'm not that good. It's not Keith's fault but he didn't know what I was doing and he was being slow and clumsy and he was going to mess things up. The last thing I needed was to have to redo a poster at 5:15 in the evening. Especially since the President won't let me leave until they're all finished even though I know they won't be picked up tonight and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep breath....

I made nobake cookies tonight. With extra dark cocoa.



And I hugged my kitty and she purred. So I'm doing good.

I think I'm going to try and finish the kitchen nook this weekend. There used to be a wall oven there but it was a tiny pathetic one so we took it out and now there's a hole. I'm going to turn it into a pretty little nook with glass shelves and it'll display my polish pottery baking dishes. All I need to buy are the brackets for the shelves and the textured wallpaper. And I've got a $25 home depot gift card!! WootWoot!

Hmm... where am I going to put all the junk that's currently there? Oh well. It'll be worth it.

It's only 8:00 but I'm worn out and I have a big day tomorrow. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment