Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stew for a rainy day

This morning I made stew in the crock pot. I was at Sam's and I found top round roast for a little over $5. My mom always told me to buy the cheapest cut of meat I could find for stew but not to use pre cut stew meat because there's too much fat on it. So this morning I cubed the meat and browned it in safflower oil with some salt and pepper. Then I added some flour and cooked that for a minute. I dumped that in the pot and carmelized an onion in the pan to get some of the flavor goo off the bottom. I'm not very good at that part; I always end up burning the sludge. But this time I did better I think. I added most of a package of baby carrots (lazy) and some sweet potatoes, gold potatoes and russet potatoes. Then I added salt, pepper, thyme, and 3 bay leaves and the crock pot will cook all day and it should be yummy!!!! Maybe this afternoon I'll make a loaf of bread to go with it.

Today I need to clean the bunny and Tuvok's box. I need to fill up my pill container for the month and clean the air filter. I need to go to petsmart to get dog food and bunny hay. I need to make some cookies for work and I'd like to bake some bread. And I need to plant some seeds. But first we're finally going to church!! DH is still freaked out about people asking why we've been gone so long but I promised I'd ward them off for him. Hopefully he'll get through this and it'll get easier.

Yesterday I wanted to get up early... and I did. But then I went back to bed and didn't get up until 11. I was sandwiched between DH and Tuvok and I was warm and comfortable!! Perhaps I can make up for it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment