Monday, February 8, 2010

I have a follower!! Yay!! Somebody likes me!!

Some of you may not like this... but I've decided it's time for me to no longer fear alcohol. I have tried a few different things and so far the one thing I don't like about all of them is the alcohol flavor. Go figure. I can't drink more than maybe a third of any glass of wine because it's too ...nyeh. That's the closest word(ish) that describes the sensation of the alcohol going into your nose and stuff. Nyeh. I don't like nyeh. And beer is just disgusting. I've tried a few of the ones DH and Froggi get but they all have that nasty beer flavor that reminds me of Friday mornings in college as you walk by the party houses. Ick. But! Tonight I tried 2 beers (yes, beers) that I liked. They were ales as opposed to laguers. I have no clue what that means. But they didn't have nyeh and they tasted more like pop with a chocolatey/coffee note to them. Also DH got a coffee dessert drink that was yummy. I tried a chocolatini but it tasted like rubbing alcohol. Blech. And by try, I mean I had about 3 sips of each one. I am still nervous about drinking too much. I have no idea what is okay and what is not or how I'm supposed to feel when I'm reaching the point that I need to stop. So I err on the side of a few sips of things. However, Froggi knows what those beers were that I liked and sometime I may actually drink an entire one at home when I don't have to drive. I don't like being scared of the stuff but I'm scared to figure out what I need to know. At least I know I'm not an instant alcoholic and that was my biggest fear. Now I just need to know my range of appropriate intake, just in case I come across something I would like to drink more that a few sips of! It would be nice to be able to have a glass of wine with a nice dinner and not worry about what might happen. So, I'm sorry for those of you who are dissapointed in me or upset by this but I have contemplated it for many years. I have no intention of ever abusing or overusing it in any way and if I realize that I have, that would just confirm my fear. So I don't think that'll happen. Besides, Nyeh is just not a good flavor!

I decided to take an inventory of my houseplants. I took their pictures and am going to make little pages on them with the sizes and what not. Sometimes the scientist in me just needs to make a spreadsheet about something. Everyone has quirks.

Here are some of my favorites:

This is the new Philodendron hederaceum 'Brazil' that I got last week. I recently discovered that it isn't the Philodendrons I don't like, but the Pothos. That was nice to know.


Here's a Ficus elastica that I got this summer with a batch of plants from a friend of a friend.


This is my Monstera deliciosa. It is pretty awesome. It seems to like me too. See the new growth?


Here's my grandmother's Hoya carnosa. It is very special to me. This Hoya is the reason I started collecting Hoyas.

5 comments:

  1. I follow you, too! LOL I just don't use the Google follower doohickey. I use the RSS feed gadget in my Mac mail so you go straight to my inbox.

    Just so you know that I like you, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading you too!

    I am curious why you needed to try alcoholic drinks, not critical at all just wondering. My daughter refuses almost everything but a tiny glass of a wine/fruit juice thing and then she doesn't really like it. She just decided to refuse the drinks at business functions and she does.

    You have beautiful houseplants. I must admit they are my Waterloo! I have one lonely philodendron that remains alive in spite of me. I just don't do them well at all.

    Understand the power outage situation. DH's parents (80's and 90's) stayed with us ll days during our worst ice storm. I will say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gld- I have been afraid of alcohol my whole life. If I was served something that ended up having any in it, I would be paranoid the whole rest of the day that I was drunk. I decided it isn't the alcohol, it's the person that makes it dangerous. Kind of like guns; you need to respect them but not fear them. So I feel the need to help myself overcome the fear and learn to understand it a little better. I actually feel free-er now that I know a sip of wine isn't going to make me drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Kiddo, I thought I posted on here telling you that though I didn't list myself as a follower, I have you on my sidebar in my blog, and it shows me when you have something new so that I know to come and read. But maybe I was helping you in your drinking experiment, and didn't get it all the way sent or something. Heh. Truth is, I'm with Glenda. A little glass of wine is enough to make the tip of my nose numb. Is that what they call "A buzz"?

    ReplyDelete