Friday, February 19, 2010

New family member

I got to get off early today because the garage door was messed up and I had to be home for the repairman.

This week an old coworker of mine showed up with a little gecko she found and of course I took it. I went to our specialty pet shop and the guy immediately recognized it as a Mediterranean House Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus). I had a leopard gecko before so I already had most of the setup at home. These guys like a different substrate so I got that and some 1/8" crickets. Last night I set up the terrarium and the gecko seems happy. It looks feminine to me and when there's movement she gets kind of spooked. I decided she needed to be named after someone high strung, tenaceous, and cute. DH suggested Ezri, from Star Trek: DS9. So Ezri is living on my bar, right in front of where I eat breakfast and right next to the computer. Hopefully she'll get used to things moving around her tank. I accidentally let her get too cold today so I have the heat lamp on and she's basking. Pretty cute little lizard!



If you look closely at the right side of the branch you can see her.


This weekend we may finally get the Christmas decorations down. I also want to bake a little and plant some cool season seeds. It's supposed to be icky outside all weekend. I'm ready for Spring!!

2 comments:

  1. We used to have geckos living in our house all of the time in Hawaii. You couldn't keep those suckers out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They guy at Alligator Alley said I could releast it in my house and it would eat bugs. I fugured the cat would eat the gecko so I elected to have a new pet!

    ReplyDelete