Saturday, December 19, 2009

Today starts the weekend of baking and wrapping. Today I'm going to concentrate on truffles and wrapping things. But first I'm sitting here enjoying the fact that I'm not at work. There's nothing wrong with work but I've been feeling the need for a break. I get 3 short weeks in a row though and that should help a lot!!

In the greenhouse my peas and thyme and oregano have sprouted! I know it's the dead of winter but that's exactly the reason why I need to have things sprouting. It reminds me that winter is temporary. I got out my grow light and heat mat yesterday. I'm not sure what I'll grow with them yet but I have lots of options. Maybe some pansies! That would be nice- to have some pansies in the spring.

It is dreary outside. Another cold front is supposed to come through on Monday. It has been a pretty cold season so far. I wonder if it will continue? A cold winter is good for killing off bugs and things. But it is bad for us mammals who like to be warm. I've been thinking of the zoo lately and how hard it was for us keepers on days that the water never thawed. I would spend literally from twilight to after dark breaking ice and refilling water buckets. I didn't have time to clean and barely had time to feed everyone. On top of that, the animals needed fresh hay and the cold loving lynxes wanted to play and needed toys and enrichment. Winter is hard for the keepers. If anyone has a free day when it's cold, go to the Little River Zoo and help them out for the day. Even a couple of hours breaking ice in water buckets would be awesome. I think when I'm a housewife I'll do that on days where the water doesn't thaw.

I need motivation to start working. Meh. Maybe I'll do some of that internet research I'd been needing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment