Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas

Today was an adventuresome and ultimately awesome Christmas.

As this last week progressed, the weather predictions kept getting scarier. As we approached Christmas Eve the weathermen predicted more and more snow each hour. In Oklahoma, you don't know whether to believe the forecasters. Sometimes they're right on. Sometimes it's worse than they think. Sometimes it doesn't do anything. So, we prepare for the worst of the weather models and then just wait and see what Nature decides to do. This time she gave us a blizzard! Here's a timeline of my experience.

Dec 23: I ask about the work policies on snow days before holidays. Normally, you have to work at least 4 hours the day before and the day after a holiday in order to recieve holiday pay. This policy prevents people getting "sick" around the holidays. I get two answers. 1. I'll have to ask. 2. It isn't going to snow; don't worry. Not helpful.

Dec 24, 7:30am: It's raining outside and the temps are above freezing. I go to work.

7:45am: I get to work just as the rain changes to sleet.

10:30am: The bosses let me go home since I have to drive across I-40 (one big giant bridge/overpass). I'll get paid for Christmas because I showed up and they're the ones that let me go home.

11:00am: I get home just as the sleet changes to snow.

Dec 24th, afternoon: DH and I sit and watch the continuing news coverage of the blizzard, white out conditions, cars piling up by the dozens, cars being abandoned in the hundreds, wreckers and emergency vehicles getting stuck in the snow, interstates closing, airports being snowed in, and the like. I measure our front yard snow at 3.75" and still falling. Tuvok won't go out without being pulled and dragged. He won't do any business at all and stares at me like I'm the most horrible human being ever (while the wind blows snow into his eyes and nose).

Dec 24th, evening: the news stays on and the newscasters are stuck at the station and at the airport. Transit buses are being sent to pick up stranded motorists, the National Guard is dispatched to help as well. The snow moves out, leaving a completely unprepared and paniking state in its wake. The news dubbs it the worst blizzard in OK since we started keeping records. The most snow in 24 hours ever. The most snow in December ever. The governer declares a state of emergency. I'm sure Minnesota is laughing.

Dec 25th, 8:30am: We awaken to a beautiful, sunny, glistening white Christmas! The backyard is 6.5" deep and there are 4 foot drifts. Tuvok thinks snow without wind is the coolest thing ever.











The airport opens back up... sort of. There aren't any planes. There's one runway open and one gate open but a plane is blocking it and they have to dig it out of the snow.

10:30am: Father in law shows up to take us to their house for Christmas. We're supposed to go to the airport and pick up Brother in law and wife on the way.

11:15am: we get to the airport and the plane is scheduled to arrive at 12:20. We get food and wait.

12:15pm: we get word that the plane just landed... in Fayetteville, Arkansas. They still haven't gotten the gate at OKC opened up. New estimate is 1:45. We go to the in laws' house to wait and hang out in more comfortable surroundings.

3:00pm: The plane lands and FIL (Father in law) goes to pick them up.

3:45pm: LUNCH!!

Afternoon and evening: DH gets a kindle! I get nifty dishers and cool yarn and a new digital Rebel XSi!!!!!!! I hyperventilate. Not badly, but I was lightheaded for a while. :-)
Everyone liked the family pictures we took and the scarves I made. I wish we could have done more but the great thing about family is they don't care about that stuff.

So now we're back home. We moved tomorrow's celebration with my family to next Saturday. Too many people have too far to drive on these roads. I am much less stressed about everything.

DH is upstairs reading the newspaper for the very first time. Well, he would read it online I guess but now the Kindle is reading it to him and he'll get it automatically each day. He's so excited he's speechless. If you know my husband, you'll know how significant this is.

I'm tired and I'm going to go to bed. Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. I have no clue what a Rebel XS is but I'm jealous of the kindle and yarn!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fancy digital camera like the pro's use. I used to do a lot of photography but the film developing part made me stop for a while. Now I can do it again!

    ReplyDelete