Saturday, July 10, 2010

Yesterday was my birthday and it was the best birthday I've had in a long time. I'm pretty sure it's because my perspective on things has changed recently. I am now able to feel appreciation when people show love toward me. Before, I tried to shove it off because I felt so uncomfortable and undeserving.

I think that life doesn't change. The circumstances we're presented with may change but life itself does not. The rules of life only seem to change when we ourselves change; either from a paradigm shift like I've recently experienced or from a change in our status of being in or out of love or depression. Being depressed and being in love are two things that change the shape of our brain (not physically) and cause us to experience the world very differently than before. Neurochemicals are powerful things. I wonder what the world would be like if all humans who were dissatisfied with their life attempted to change themselves instead of changing their circumstances or those around them. Think about it. I haven't thought about it yet because it just popped out of my fingers. I will mull it over and I want you to as well and let me know what you think.

Many people who want to change something in the world actually want to change other people. But if those other people also became something better, their actions would also be different. Would they no longer need to be changed (attacked) by others? So many things are connected.

Anyway, back to real life. Mark (well, his wife Suzanne) made me a flourless chocolate cake. I had asked Mark last week to make me the cake he made for Suzanne for her birthday back in February. It was the best thing I have ever tasted. When I bake for others' birthdays I want them to have their favorite thing. So I asked for my favorite thing. (Change #1: before I wouldn't have asked anyone for a cake and just been suprised with any cake I got, if I got one at all)

Mark had an early flight so he dropped it off at work early. Suzanne used a different recipe but it was just as good! From about 9:30 on I was on a caffeine high from my tea plus the cake plus the coffee I decided to drink. Whee! I slipsheeted most of the morning, which I enjoy doing, then I did posters. I enjoy posters too. I went to sushi for lunch and 3 other people came along. We had a nice time! There were so many posters on Friday that I worked on them for most of the afternoon too. One of the stores made me a birthday card! It was sweet!

Toward the end of the day I saw people talking to each other in groups that normally don't interact much. Hmmm... Then a little later Matt gave me a $50 gift mastercard!! The people in the shop love me $50 worth!!! I was blown away! I didn't realize I was that important or well liked! Most people don't get money for their birthdays. Most people get a baked good of their choice. I guess everyone felt the need to give me something even though Mark/Suzanne took care of the baked good part. I feel very appreciated!! I made a thank you note and put it up by the time clock.

And to top it all off, I got to go home at 4:00! DH and I hung out for a while and I took Tuvk for a walk and then we went to the inlaws for dinner. FIL made me a filet on the grill and a baked sweet potato. They got my favorite kind of chocolate cake from the bakery (not homemade but the best they can do). I got a very generous check from them as well!

With the money that DH and I got for our birthdays (his was the 5th) we ordered SureFit slipcovers for the couch and the loveseat so Tuvok's nails don't tear up the fabric any more. We each have $100 to play with after that. Well, I have $150 because my coworkers are so generous. I don't think DH has decided what he's doing yet, except $10 went to a Netflix subscription. I'm spending $100 on two new pairs of earrings.

A couple of years ago I stretched my ear holes to 12ga to accomodate some beautiful earrings I found. 12ga is still small enough that when I take out my earrings, my holes look normal; also I can wear normal earrings should I so choose (which I haven't). But I also can wear some really beautiful and unique pieces of jewelry in my ears.

Here are my Shortys:


Here are the Ichthys I bought:



And these are made from abalone shell. I thought they were gorgeous! I've been wanting jewelry by this company ever since I began stretching.



Ok, the links didn't work so I just put the pictures in.

So to recap: AWESOME BIRTHDAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment