Saturday, April 9, 2011

Praying For Rain

We are in the midst of a terrible drought.  We haven't had any precipitation in months.  DH and I are kind of suprised we aren't doing any water rationing.  Our particular mesonet station is showing we have decent soil moisture but many parts of the state are bone dry down to 24".  No real relief is in sight.  We may have some thunderstorms this evening though.  That'll be nice.

I have soaker hoses in my front beds.  The water spigot leaks and I discovered if I keep a soaker hose attached to it the water goes into the gardens.  The plants are much happier since I started that.

All my plants are outside today.  The wind is blowing from the southwest so I put lots of them on the east facing front porch.  They seem happy and my porch looks like a tropical paradise!  Lol!

This week at work was insane.  I don't think we've ever had this much work.  It did slow down a little by the end of the week and we were all ready!  Yesterday was fun because I got to work on lots of creative projects.  This week at home was also insane.  We had lots of errands to run and things to get caught up on and by Thursday night we had to cancel plans to stay home and rest.  Also, we were out late one night because DH had to go to the urgent care clinic.  He had a thing on his arm that we expressed on Sunday and got lots of black stuff out of, but then it got angry and it swelled up huge and nasty.  He's on antibiotics now and it is looking much better.  It was growing by the hour so we figured his immune system needed some help.  Since the Bactrim is working, I don't think it's MRSA but we wanted to be safe and keep it under control.  My sister-in-law had MRSA on her inner elbow once and it swelled her whole arm up to twice the size and she spent the week after her wedding in the hospital getting IV antibiotics and pain meds.  It's quite a story.

Last night after work I went to the nursery and got plants for work and some container soil parts for me.  Then I went to WalMart and got a few more plants.  DH went to the Thunder game so he didn't get home until almost midnight.  I had puttered around and lost track of the time and I was finally taking a shower when he came home.  I slept until about 9:30 and DH is still in bed at almost 2:00.   I'm seriously considering taking a nap.  We're pooped!

I was going to plant the flowers at work this morning but then I realized that the lawn people will probably trample them when they put the mulch down this week.  So they're waiting on the front porch.  I found some Azalea fertilizer that had all the things that the soil at work needed.  So I got that and spread it on Wednesday.  The lawn people put nitrogen down on Thursday.  Hopefully that will help until I can get more natural forms of fertilizer on the beds.  A few bags of manure would do a lot of good.  The soil looks to be straight sand.  I haven't actually manipulated it to do a real test.  But it drains very quickly and the nutrients leave almost as fast as the water.  According to a soil map I just found, we are in the Sandy Hills area: very deep, sandy and loamy.

So I got lost in the soil map for a while there.  Lol!  I love maps!  The land I grew up on is right at the border of two soil (and vegetation) types.  I can show you exactly where they change too!  Pretty cool.   

So anyway, this weekend I need to sew the bean bags for work (long story), plant some stuff, repot some stuff, clean the snake, wash the dog, tack up the ugly tv cord in the front, clean the air filter, clean the Betta, and mow.  Hm.  Wonder how all that's gonna get done.  Oh, and bake.

What I want to do is go buy a hammock and take a nap outside.

1 comment:

  1. My GS, the one I call JC, has had MRSA before. That stuff can get ugly so it's best to get it treated right away. His doctor gave us a prescription for Mupirocin ointment 2% and it really works great. JC hasn't has a MRSA in a long time (knock wood) and I'm really grateful for that. It was such a worry. I guess he must not be frequenting those places where he was picking it up before, though his doctor told me the germ lives in everyone's nose. Something to think about, that maybe someone could give you MRSA just by sneezing on you??

    We, too, could use more rain. We're not quite as dry as it is in your area, though. Farmers and ranchers around us have been burning off like crazy and I'm so tired of all the smoke in the air. It worries me that the wind might whip these things into wild fires. We've had soooooo much wind.

    ReplyDelete